The Fear Of The Night
I fear many things, all which causes me to be despondent, to yield, to just sit in my chair and smoke while I kill myself slowly and silently. So do many, fear incapacitates and at this moment, I fear for examinations...not the greatest fear, but at this moment, a real, haunting fear
But, if we try to put things in perspective, albeit another perspective....Should we not celebrate fear? Christians know this too well...the benefits of fear, even though it is fear only to the lord, but same principle applies perhaps?
A human heart fears the dark of the night,
For the things unknown in the exile of light
Mortal eyes long for the sun in the sky,
And curse Plutonian night with a bitter cry
We curse in bitterness, live in fright,
And pray for deliverance from divine heights
I jump in delight in passing night,
Even as fears consume my mortal might
I fear the passing of the light,
Yet my fear reminds me of my gifted sight
I fear for the exile of gracious light,
Light of which I might once again sight
I fear the unknown of Plutonian night,
But it’s because I know of what otherwise might
My fear springs from a longing inside,
Which causes a desire to flee or fight
So while you fear do jump in delight…
For when you cease fearing….
You renounce forever your gifted sight,
You lose hope in what otherwise might
You stop running in desperate flight,
You stay forever in eternal night
The fear of the night
But, if we try to put things in perspective, albeit another perspective....Should we not celebrate fear? Christians know this too well...the benefits of fear, even though it is fear only to the lord, but same principle applies perhaps?
A human heart fears the dark of the night,
For the things unknown in the exile of light
Mortal eyes long for the sun in the sky,
And curse Plutonian night with a bitter cry
We curse in bitterness, live in fright,
And pray for deliverance from divine heights
I jump in delight in passing night,
Even as fears consume my mortal might
I fear the passing of the light,
Yet my fear reminds me of my gifted sight
I fear for the exile of gracious light,
Light of which I might once again sight
I fear the unknown of Plutonian night,
But it’s because I know of what otherwise might
My fear springs from a longing inside,
Which causes a desire to flee or fight
So while you fear do jump in delight…
For when you cease fearing….
You renounce forever your gifted sight,
You lose hope in what otherwise might
You stop running in desperate flight,
You stay forever in eternal night
The fear of the night


3 Comments:
peishi here :)
dont know much about poetry, but i felt this one was a little too much on the rhyming.. wana explain to the little girl again? ;p
well....it means that when u r afraid cos things seem bleak...feel happy that u r afraid n u r not desensitived...cos when u r no longer afraid when it still bleak...it means u have given up....rite?
little girl...haha....dun u want to lose that tag when i call you cute everytime?
from what you said on your blog...me adding fuel to the fire....haha....o gosh...i m so falling in love...sucker for cute things..
hmm as i was reading the first paragraph, i tot "hey tis is gd" but as i read on i think its feels draggy n naggy. i think tt rhythming already adds to the impression of recurring, n so rhythming using the same words like "night" n "light" repeatedly makes the poem feel monotonous. paiseh ah, tis is my humble n blunt opinion. i can see why ure doing tis tho, there a pattern in the first 2 stanzas.
Post a Comment
<< Home